Best Horse Names For Your Horse Pick Out The Perfect One!
Best horse names? Where to find them? Ugh right here of course. You found the gold mine!
I can only imagine how excited you are to be getting a new horse or maybe your first horse. You want to pick the best horse name for your new equine partner.
Your stomach tightens into a knot and you feel a tinge of anxious excitement course through your body.
You imagine what your horse will be like, all the adventures you will go on, and things you will do together.
You want to get the name perfect for this horse, the best horse name you can come up with.
- Because you will be calling the horse by this name all the time.
- The name will be engraved on a stall plate, halter plate, bridle plate, saddle plate.
- If you want to go all out you will have your brushes, grooming tote, and tack trunk engraved with their name as well as all the blankets and dare I say saddle pads.
- People will ask you what your horse’s name is.
- The vet and farrier will have written records with your horse’s name.
- At shows, your horse’s name will be called out.
Your horses name may make memorable impression or not.
And of course if you are to show with your horse then most likely your horse will have two names. A barn name and a show name.
The pressure to get you horse’s name right is real. Even if it’s just pressure you are putting on yourself.
You want to pick the best name for your equine bestie.
Choosing The Best Horse Name For Your Horse
As the new owner of your horse, one of the first things you will do with your horse is to choose its name.
So to help you get it right and find the best horse name for your equine friend, I have created this mighty epic list of equine names to be your inspiration.
You have many options to choose from.
I would love to see in the comments what your top 3 picks are from horse names on this list.
Choosing a Nickname
Usually short one word and sometimes two.
Choosing a Show Name
Usually two words or more. Many times people use the show name as the official name for documents and vet unless you don’t have a show name for your horse OR your horse has a registered name that you want to use instead. However, that is up to you.
Your horse may already have a registered name. Some breed associations allow you to pay a fee to rename your horse’s registered name.
For an example of what I did: a mare, I used to own had a nickname, a show name, and a registered name. I used her barn name most of the time.
Choose your horse’s name wisely. You can even have your horse help you choose their name.
I will share my ideas for having your horse help you make the choice, at the bottom of this post, below the list of names.
The Best Names For Horses
After digging around the internet for days and days.
These are my favorite hand picked names I have found or made up myself that I think are awesome for horses.
I have divided the names into lists under different categories which you can see by scrolling down to the list or by scrolling up to the table of contents.
So keep reading to find your horse’s perfect name and don’t forget to see the ways you can include your horse in the process of choosing their name.
Funny Horse Names
- Hairy Trotter
- Bilbo Baggins
- Bitney Spurs
- Princess Fluffy
- Hoofing It
- Foaling Around
Bossy Horse Names
- Mr. Bossypants
- Boss Man
- Cat Sass
- I’m No Sweetpea
- Ms. Sassafrass
- And I’m Worth It
- Rouge One
- A Real Deagon
- Kiss My Asterisk
Cuddly, Calm & Cool Horse Names
- User Friendly
- City Slicker Safe
- Cool Dude
- Peace Over Me
- Delightful Daisy
- Easy Grace
- Little Lady
- Calm and Cool
Chunky Foodie Horse Names
- Tater Tot
- Cheese Puff
- Big Mac
- Honey Bunches Of Oats
- I Wants The Chocolates
- Cup Cake
- Always Hungry
- They Never Feed Me
- Will Jump For Food
- Biscuit Eater
- Got Hay
- Fifty Bales Of Hay
Lazy & Slow Horse Names
- Snail Mail
- Bubba Boy
- Lazy Bones
- Ms. Puffy
- Ms. Pokey
- Lazy Lady
- 4-Hooved Sloth
- Couch Potato
- Slow As Molasses
High Energy & Fast Horse Names
- Go Go Gadget
- Buckle Up Buttercup
- Flaunt It
- Pocket Rocket
- Wind Dancer
- Zippity Do Da
- Energizer Bunny
Best Horse Names For Mischievous Horses
- Dennis The Menace
- Sgt. Wreckless
- High Maintenance
- Miss Bee Havin
Elegant & Unique Horse Names
- Gaits Of Heaven
- Mystic Mountain
- Amazing Elegance
- Mane Attraction
- Can’t Stop Staring
Best Horse Names For Brave Horses
- She’s Got Heart
- Into Victory
- Through The Valley
- Never Quits
Grey & White Horse Names
- Arctic Wind
- Polar Express
- White Lightening
- I’m no Snowflake
- Ice Queen
- Snowy Wonderland
- Epic Snow Storm
- Cloud Dancer
- You Got The Silver
- More Sugar Than Spice
- Marshmallow Dreams
- Sugar Rush
Black Horse Names
- Black Beard
- Dark Knight
- Jack Sparrow
- Dark Cloud
- Black Velvet
- Black Widow
- Shot In The Dark
- Midnight Maven
- Dark Side Of The Moon
- Black Storm
- Black Coffee
Bay & Brown Horse Names
- Maple Sugar
- Chocolate Dream
- Lindor Truffle
Best Sorrel & Chestnut Horse Names
- Fire Fly
- Apple Of My Eye
- Feisty Red Head
- Cinnamon Spice
- Fire Cracker
- Solar Flare
- Red Delicious
Champange, Cremello, Dun, Palomino, & Buckskin Horse Names
- Golden Boy
- Rose Gold
- Golden Ticket
- Lemon Meringue
- Lemon Drop
- Gold Star
Paint and Pinto Horse Names
- Moo moo
- Boba Tea
- Color Me Beautiful
- A Colorful Affair
- Twisted Tea
- Cookies & Cream
- Ying Yang
- Paint By Numbers
- Spilled Paint
Best Horse Names For Spotty Coats
- Confetti King
- Milky Way
- Spotted Sky
- Dusty Moon
- Sprinkle Explosion
- Polka Dots
- Taste The Rainbow
- X Marks The Spot
- Fruity Pebbles
- Galaxy Cruiser
- Salt N Pepper
- Dots & Dashes
Disney Horse Names
Related post: Disney Horses In Real Life
- Angus– Brave
- Khan– Mulan
- Maximus – Tangled
- Bullseye– Toy Story 2
- Buttercup– Toy Story 3
- Frou-Frou– The Aristocats
- Pegasus– Hercules
- Philip– The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe
- Samson– Sleeping Beauty
- Sitron– Frozen
- Snowball-Hunchback of Notre Dame
- Captain– 101 Dalmatians
Lord Of The Rings Horse Names
- Bill The Pony
Horse Names From Movies & TV
These are fictional and non-fictional horses from movies and TV series.
- Spirit– Spirit: Stallion Of The Cimmaron
- Rain– Spirit: Stallion Of The Cimmaron
- Sonador– Dreamer
- Silver– The Lone Ranger
- Scout– The Lone Ranger TV Series
- Lucky– Running Free
- Artax– The Neverending Story
- Pie– National Velvet
- Gunpowder– The Legend of Sleepy Hollow
- The Black– The Black Stallion
- Pilgrim– The Horse Whisperer
- Hidalgo– Hidalgo
- Beric– from Knights of the Round Table
- Cisco– Dances with Wolves
- Joey– War Horse
- Sonny– My Outlaw Brother
- Sprout– The Parent Trap
- Bandit– Caitlin’s Way
- Wildfire– ABC Family’s Wildfire
- Blue Jeans– Hannah Montan
- Trigger – Roy Rogers
Horses Names From Books
- Black Beauty– Black Beauty by Anna Sewell
- Merrylegs- Black Beauty by Anna Sewell
- Flicka– My Friend Flicka
- Silver Blaze– the Sherlock Holmes stories by Arthur Conan Doyle
- Snowfire– Eragon by Christopher Paolini’s
- Whirlwind from Shadow Horse by Alison Hart
- Sunfire– Ravenheart and Sorrowheart by Kendra Ann Thomas
- Misty– Misty of Chincoteague by Marguerite Henry’s
- Sunchaser– The Unicorns Of Balinor by Mary Stanton
Pony Pals Horse Names
- Snow White
Heartland Horse Names
Saddle Club Horse Names
Thoroughbred Series Horse Names
- Fleet Goddess
- Mr. Wonderful
- March To Glory
- Sterling’s Dream
Horse Names From History
- Black Jack Morgan- Quarter-horse last Quartermaster-issued U.S. Army horse was in more than 1,000 Armed Forces Full Honors Funerals (AFFHF).
- Blueskin– One of George Washington’s mounts In Revolutionary War
- Figure -Founding Morgan Sire.
- Cincinnati– one of Ulysses S. Grant’s horses.
- Comanche– only documented survivor of General Custer’s 7th Cavalry detachment at the Battle of Little Big Horn
- Copenhagen– the Duke of Wellington‘s favourite horse, which he rode at the Battle of Waterloo
- Clever Hans – A horse that could supposedly do math and tap out answers among other intellectual abilities.
- Cholla – Mustang with a knack for painting
- Marengo Napoleon’s horse which was captured by the British, and outlived Napoleon by eight years
- Nelson One of George Washington’s mounts In Revolutionary War
- Reckless became a decorated Marine for carrying supplies and ammunition into battle for the US Marine platoon in the Korean War
- Warrior– “Old Warrior”, the mount of General Jack Seely in the First World War from 1914 to 1918; awarded the Dickin Medal in 2014
- Traveller – Horse owned by Robert E. Lee.
Horse Names Owned By Celebrities
- Cheetah – Jamie Fox
- Eurayus – Viggo Mortensen
- Holly later called Brandy- Jennifer Lawrence
- Arabella– Lady Gaga
- Goldeneye -Johnny Depp
- Drukpa – Richard Gere
- Bobo– Kaley Cuoco
- Shcmooshy– Kaley Cuoco
- Poker Face– Kaley Cuoco
- Escarlata– Kaley Cuoco
- Nettypie– Kaley Cuoco
- Naomi -Mary-Kate Olsen
- Fatum – Mary-Kate Olsen
- Sparkler– Queen Elizabeth
My Little Pony
- Twilight Sparkle
- Apple Jack
- Rainbow Dash
- Rainbow Mane
- Pinkie Pie
- Princess Celestia
- Apple Bloom
- Shining Armor
- Sweetie Belle
Names Of Famous Race Horses
- Smarty Jones
- Phar Lap
- Native Dancer
- Northern Dancer
- California Chrome
- Man O’ War
- War Admiral
- Seattle Slew
Mythological Horse Names
- Arion– an immortal, extremely swift horse and could talk.
- Chollima – In Chinese and Korean mythology, a winged horse.
- Dora– war horse of Đurađ Senković.
- Embarr– Niamh and Lugh’s horse.
- Epona– Gaulish horse goddess.
- Glad– horse in Norse mythology.
- Glashtyn – From Celtic mythology, a shapeshifter that can appear as a man or a grey horse and lives in the sea.
- Gullfaxi Norse mythology “golden mane.”
- Gringolet– Sir Gawain’s horse.
- Hippogriff – in Greek mythology has the body of a horse and the head of an eagle with wings.
- Kelpie– mythical Celtic water horse.
- Kirin – A unicorn in Japanese mythology.
- Pegasus– a flying horse of Greek mythology
- Rhaebus– a horse in Roman myths.
- Tulpar– winged or swift horse in Turkic mythology.
- Tianma – winged horse in Chinese mythology.
- Phaethon – immortal horse in Greek mythology belonging to the goddess of the dawn.
- Xanthus – One of two immortal horses who pulled Achilles’ chariot.
Ways To Have Your Horse Help You Choose Their Name
Apples To Apples Name Game
- Write down names on flash cards or pieces of paper.
- Put on the ground under an apple for each name.
- Make sure they are lined up in a row.
- Lead horse over to apples.
- See which apple he chooses and that is their name.
Hand Behind The Back | Classic Name Game
This is best when you have narrowed down the name to two different names.
- Put a treat in each hand.
- Assign a name to each treat.
- Let your horse see you have treats.
- Put your hands behind your back.
- See which arm your horse nudges.
- That treat with the assigned name is the winner.
Bobbing For Apples Name Game
- Choose different colored apples and assigned each a name.
- Put apples in water trough or water bucket.
- Let your horse go bobbing for apples.
- First apple that gets a bite that name is the winner.
Please Share This Post To Help Others Name Their New Horse
If you found this post
Please share this post on Pinterest or your choice of social media. Thanks so much! This helps my blog to grow and be able to continue creating new content.